Credits: CEU = IACET CEUs | PDU = PMI PDUs | HRCI = HRCI Credits | SHRM = SHRM PDCs | CFRE = CFRE Credits | ACE = ACE Credits
Better Proofreading and Copyediting
A great editor is like a great mechanic. They look at a piece of writing the same way a mechanic looks at a car: they assess the current state, see if it has any issues, and tune it up so it’s good to go. As you can imagine, there is no lack of metaphor to describe the task of editing. This course will help you discern between metaphor and fact to discover the truth of editing. You will learn the foundational principles of copyediting, the golden rules of proofreading, and what professional editors actually do and how you can do it, too.
- Define the three different levels of editing
- Identify and correct the most common errors in grammar and punctuation
- Recall and apply publishing standards for material like images, front matter, and back matter
- Recall the differences between the most popular style guides
- Understand how to use and update a customized style sheet for each editorial project
- Explain what a professional editor does within the wider publishing process
- Recognize and replicate standard editing symbols by hand
- Use digital tools like track changes to communicate suggested edits effectively
You may request a refund up to 7 days from the purchase date. The registration fee will only be refunded if less than 10% of the course has been completed. Completion percentage can be viewed on the Course Progress page from within the course.
This course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
Pinch to zoom